Dance is taught within the PE Faculty at Windsor in a purpose built state of the art dance studio.
The dance department aims to support the school in developing a learning area where the following takes place:
- High expectations of all staff and students
- A learning culture is developed
- Independent learning is encouraged
- Students want to improve
In dance we aim to create an area where students feel:
- To foster aesthetic awareness
- To develop creativity in individuals
- To celebrate and share achievements in dance
- To build self esteem and self expression
- To work with our local community in promoting the dance
- To increase understanding of diverse cultural traditions
- To encourage collaborative and cooperative working methods
Key Stage 3
The students have 3 PE lessons per week lasting 50 minutes. Within these lessons one of the focus areas for a module is dance. Students are taught in single sex groups.
Key Stage 4
Students study GCSE dance according to the AQA syllabus. Exam results consistently exceed the national average. Students also receive some dance within the PE curriculum at Key Stage 4.
Key Stage 5
Students can choose to study any of four courses available at Key Stage 5. These include:
- A level Dance – both AS and A2
- BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Performing Arts: Dance (equivalent of 1 A-level)
- BTEC Diploma in Performing Arts: Dance (equivalent of 2 A-levels)
- BTEC extended diploma in Performing Arts: Dance (equivalent of 3 A-levels)
- Extra-curricular Activities
Dance offers an extensive range of clubs before school, at lunch times and after school. Within these clubs, a vast range of dance styles are covered including Contemporary, Jazz, Urban, Rock and Roll, Salsa and many more. As well as clubs, students regularly have the opportunity to attend and perform in many events across the year. These performances range from local festivals to national events (Manchester opening ceremony of the School Games).
Within these clubs we have an audition based company called WASP’s (Windsor Academy Selected Performers aiming for Success). This gives students the opportunity to be challenged for their dance and performance ability.
As well as opportunities stemming from clubs, students are offered residential experiences. Some of these include stays in London visiting Pineapple Dance Studios’, Disneyland Paris, Baltimore (USA) and in some instances stays in different areas for events like the National School Games.
- Windsor High School and Sixth Form Dance Production – held at Windsor High School and Sixth Form
- An Easter Celebration of Dance held at Stourbridge Town Hall
- Summer Fun Day held at Windsor High School and Sixth Form
- Summer Showcase held at Wolverhampton Arena Theatre
- Local Festivals (both community and school)